About the Opportunity
Join us in 2021-22 in the Twin Cities and online We’ll meet in person once monthly and once via Zoom with the NYC group, on the second and third Tuesdays of each month. On the second Tuesday of each month, we will hear the work of a single writer out loud (read by actors) and discuss this writer’s work. This meeting is mandatory and will take place at an accessible venue TBD in St. Paul or Minneapolis.
On the third Tuesday of each month, we will engage via Zoom in a moderated philosophical discussion about where we’re at in terms of style, form, the direction of theatre/art today etc. Accepted writers will have the chance to suggest a topic for the monthly salon, and lead a discussion. This meeting is suggested, but not mandatory. This monthly Zoom salon will include both the New York City and Twin Cities groups.
Upon invitation, the rate is $100 for the year. This covers space to meet for an entire year and a modest stipend for the actors who’ll read our words during the workshop meetings. If your reading will require more than five actors, we will ask you to contribute an additional $20 stipend for each actor beyond the fifth. Why? We believe artists should be paid for their time.
- To participate, you must be an experimental theatre writer. What do we mean by this? You must write for live performance and you must be in the process of creating something that isn’t “conventional.” This departure from normative theatre can include dialogue, structure, staging, character and/or character development, format or any other manner of pushing at theatrical boundaries. Teach us something.
- The Cut Edge Collective currently has four available slots. Playwrights will be selected based upon the quality of the work submitted and experimental nature of the work, by experimental playwrights Tom Block and Kevin Kautzman, founders of the Collective.
- If you’re in the Twin Cities and able to commit to monthly events, as well as participate in our monthly salons, also once a month, and write experimental work for theatre, do send a sample, segment or example and tell us why you want to be a part of the collective.
And So Who Is This For
- Experimental Theatre Writers
- Able to Commit to Twice Monthly Meetings in Midtown Manhattan, through 2021
- With Compelling Samples
- $100 for Space and Actors